January 26-27, 2016 - Sustainable Transport Project in Egypt organized a training course for Physical Planning engineers of governorates' capitals and new cities on "Requirements of Transport Infrastructure for Sustainable Development."
The training is the first in a series of training courses developed by the experts and professors of the Development Research and Technological Planning Center (DRTPC), in Cairo University and designed to enhance the awareness and capacity of local professionals on different aspects of sustainable transport and strengthen the institutional basis to promote sustainable transport.
The training, held at the DRTPC, in Cairo University, over two days of intensive sessions, targeted two young engineers (recent graduates or those with maximum 10 years of experience) from the cities of Skeikh Zayed, 6th of October, Sadat, May 15, Banha of Qalubeya, Shebin El-Kom of Menoufeya, Fayoum city of Fayoum governorate and Giza. Two physical planning engineers from the ministry of transport also attended the training.
The lectures dealt with the following subjects:
- Defining sustainable development& evolution of the concept
- Features of sustainable transport
- Land Use/Transport interaction
- UN-HABITAT GRHS-2013 Report:”Planning & Design for Sustainable Urban Mobility, October 2103”
- Principles of calculation of GHG & pollution emissions from road traffic
- NMT facilities upgrading (surveys & data)
- NMT facilities upgrading (design & implementation warrants)
- Examples on bad Land Use /Transport integration in cities
- Examples on good Land Use /Transport integration in cities
In the closing session, training completion certificates were handed over to the first batch of trainees by the STP Manager, Eng. Mohamed Fathy, and STP Technical Consultant, Prof. Dr. Ali Hozayyen. The 13 trainees praised the training and its scientific material and expressed their interest in attending more training courses on physical planning.
Further similar training sessions are expected to take place during the month of March 2016.